Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Have wealth, will spend; Have wealth, will waste?


In a capitalistic world, unequal wealth distribution is acceptable. I am not a Communist. I like wealth. Wealth in the form of the Louis Vuitton luggage, that YSL pantsuit. Those Jimmy Choo shoes. That perfume by Chanel.That kind of wealth that Scrooge McDuck dives into.

But food fights? I am not a party-pooper. I am no saint either. I don't claim to have finished every morsel that had ever found it's way to my plate. I have chucked food into the bin as there was too much of it or even because I simply did not like it. Was I sinning? Probably not. After all, it is not like the food on my plate, which I might have thrown away, would have otherwise made its way to Sudan.

Truckloads of tomatoes, oranges and even a few custard pies being squashed, flung about, smeared, jumped upon, swum in and even dived into. Probably too expensive to ship around. It is not an everyday occurrence either. Some fun ain't ever hurt anyone. Look at the bright side of things. Get my point?

Great!

Now try explaining that to them.

2 comments:

Dew_Drop said...

whatever someone may say.... i think its a bit too much to waste food..... maybe shipping food might be too costly... maybe u can argue what a few morsels of food change when hundreds are hungry... but it might extend someone's life by 1 day... im sure everyone wants to live one day longer when its time to die....

Naimisha said...

@dew_drop: A few grains prolonging a life for a day is a bit far fetched but nevertheless, food wastage by rolling in it cause it seems to be fun is definitely inexcusable.