Thursday, May 29, 2008

Booklists for the junkie soul

It was while searching for Lessing on the internet that I was directed to a list of 1001 books that you were to have read before you died or so it claimed. Though the list seems to have a proportionate share of well known and obscure (for me) books, I found it interesting mostly for its omissions than inclusions. For example, there are hardly any works by “those dreadfully depressing Russian author types” (as my sweetheart likes to call them). Now the Russian author types as such, I agree, do not make or break any greats but the very prominent exclusion left me a little annoyed.

So I went ahead and dug out a few more lists and a little out of every thing practically covers all of my favorites. Now, there is no dearth of people telling you what to read and trying to make you feel like ignoramuses if you haven’t and personally, I am not the oh I have to read this as it is on the list kinds but for the interested, here are a few lists in no particular order:

ManBooker Prize for Fiction

Pulitzer Prize for fiction

BBC - The Big Read - Top 100 Books

The Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction

Hugo Award for Best Novel

Costa Book Awards

Nebula Award for Best Novel

Nobel Laureates in Literature

The New York Times Best Sellers

Still obsessive about such kinds? Check this out.

Though many do find reading according to a particular list useful as that way, you can ensure that you have not missed out on the popular works, there is nothing like the joy of discovering a book on your own.

I on the other hand tend to pick authors first and read them in chronological author. It doses take me a lot of time to move on from one to the next but I prefer it that way as it gives me a way to know the authors along with their books and by the time I am done with one, I feel like I have known the person all my life.

One way or the other, nothing beats a good book and the warm feeling that you get after you are done with one. So, happy reading then!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and if you are really serious about tackling the 1001 books, you could visit Arukiyomi for your free spreadsheet...

http://www.johnandsheena.co.uk/books

enjoy...

Naimisha said...

Hey arukiyomi, I did too and it sure was good. Thank You!