Saturday, May 24, 2008

Backpacking beckons


The normally subdued wanderlust flares like a sun-burst through me periodically and I end up scrambling to the nearest bookstore to wrap my itchy fingers around the spine of a Lonely Planet guide, or under poorer circumstances, towards the fiction section.

The world is ours to see and observe and that alone should give infinite happiness. Head to the continents, absorb the places, sink in them and revel in their existence. Expensive hotels, places serving Indian food, comforts of pre-booked transport and fixed itineraries are not for me.Give me a sturdy backpack, a passport with enough pages and a robust lock and I am well on my way.

I do not claim that I am on of those globetrotters. I want to be one. Imagine the joy of heading off to a place with a one way ticket and no fixed plans. No pressure to come back to your cubicle on the Monday, no worry about bank balances and credit card bills.

I am going to do it one day and in the next five years too! After all, putting off the departure does not help but planning it would.

PS:The picture belongs to a guy called Troy M Litten

No comments: