Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The ride back home (and more)

Congratulations to me on successfully riding to and from work!

After all that exhilaration about the ride to work, I was looking forward to the ride back. I must admit I was slightly apprehensive about it as this time I would have to encounter traffic and horrible rolling roads near my place. Hence had decided to start at 1730 ( I know, I am one of those lucky b@^&@$*# who get to wrap up the work day at 1730 but I generally leave at 1800).

Turned out, the greater scheme of things had other plans. The mad hatter tipped his watering can at 1700 and so was forced to coop up till 1800 post which I decided to take the chance and made a dash for my bike (besides, I could not give up an opportunity to bike in the rain now, could I?). I had chained my bike to a railing in the morning and was sitting smugly in the knowledge that it would be safe but when I went down to fetch it, it occurred to me that I had probably been a wee bit over cautious. There were a zillion bikes (those nasty gas guzzlers, not the nice shiny red types) parked normally against mine and it looked worse than a badly made capex spreadsheet!

I tried catching the attention of the parking attendant(this old toothless bozo) who however, was more interested in saving his skin form the rain than helping me. After a few more attempts, just as I landed a well aimed kick at the nearest Luna (which immediately ensured that the parking attendant came flying, notwithstanding other effects like a dozen vehicles toppling like dominoes), that nice juice shop guy decided to come to my rescue and lifted my bike out of that mess for me and just in time too as I was worried that it might stop raining any moment then.

After that, it was a smooth ride (bad bad me jumped a light too though I think I shall try not to do that again) until I reached those rolling roads near my place where I got off my bike and walked it till what I thought was a nice and easy short-cut to my place. Big mistake. That road must have been laid by some guy who thought the way to nirvana was up north and kept laying the road at 90 degrees to the surface. To make things worse, I could not recognize where I was too. So all that huffing and puffing continued for a really long time but like all happy stories, I did reach home in the end.

I was wet, drenched to my skin and was finely sprayed with mud on my trousers ends but I was also high on adrenalin, ecstatic and eager to do that all over again. Happy me.

Today morning was equally great though this time, I have wisely chained it to the pole announcing '2 wheeler parking Bangalore Traffic Police' and it also did not have that cow (actually it was there today too, but I was expecting it and steered clear of it from a long way. Hah!) and I behaved myself better on the roads. Still happy me :-)

PS: Pray hard that nothing interesting happens tomorrow. I just have to review Butter and Mashed Bananas. If I delay it any longer, I think I might pop like a bubbly cork. All those happy thoughts, you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok ! So reached safe and Sound !

Praying for a Happy You and Your Bike too.