Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A little this, A little that

Not all South Indians have no family name. I am a South Indian and I do have a family name and so does the whole Andhra population. If you are a man, it can continue as long as you have sons to carry it on. In case you are a woman, it changes each time you get married. You take on your husband's family name.

I am less South Indian than most South Indians. I am more South Indian than most South Indians.

I love to eat food cooked by my ammamma. Eternal favorites being

Chinna mukkala bangaladumpa vepudu
Guttu vankayi koora
Maamidikayi Pulihora
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani
Mirchi ka Salan
Tomato Rasam
Lemon Rasam

Tomato and Egg Curry
Ullipayi Pulusu
Sambar

Fried Fish
Kaima Cutlets
Mudda Pappu
Saggubeeyam Payasam


Ammamma is the best cook in the world. Your ammamma could be called the same by you. My ammamma is still the best cook in the world.

Not everybody from Andhra has to be an avakayi pacchadi guzzling daddojanam lover.

Not all South Indian girls need to be married by the age of 25.

2 comments:

moonstruckmoth said...

After reading ur post, my vocab abt Andhra cuisine suddenly feels enriched :)

U seem to be on a gastronomical trip since ur past coupla posts ;-)

BTW, my all time fav is Mudda Pappu...as I kid I used to eat it everyday...n those days when my Mom hadnt cooked it, I'd throw tantrums. So much so that one of my old neighbours, a nice Maharashtrian lady, still calls me "Pappu" :)

Naimisha said...

Lol! I know a lot of others who got stuck with that name. Fried potatoes, mudda pappu, hot rice and ghee is my personal comfort food.

Those other pics are from long ago which I had clicked specifically to put up on my blog but kept putting off until now.