Monday, July 9, 2007

Of real imaginary dragons and other things

Started (and finished reading Book 1) with the Discworld thing yesterday and reading it left me with a feeling of Deja Vu (still have not figured out how to get the accents through the keyboard).


Half way through the book, I realized that I had read all the things in the book somewhere else earlier!Not from one book in particular but many other books.For example there was this thing about the dragons talking to the riders through their minds. This got me thinking about the movie Eragon where exactly the same thing happens. Even the terms were the same! Like the dragon rider thingie.


There were plenty of other such incidents which I am unable to recollect right now (this post shall be updated as soon as I manage to make a list of all such details). So finally, my pondering boils down to this. Has fantasy its own language and syntax where dragons always talk to their masters through their minds and once a dragon and rider are paired, they are done so for a lifetime and also that if the rider is hurt, the dragon avenges it? I dont think plagiarism is the issue here.


The issue here methinks is that fantasy is evolving into a a new world by itself, with its own set of accepted standards and syntax. Hmmmmm...food for thought now!

1 comment:

bala said...

oh! Absolutely. There is also the quest rule, and several others, including the (in)famous, "KILL the heroes guide" and so many others. Very comforting, all those rules.